Saturday, July 23, 2011

Brushed Off by DJ Sharlese.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Sharlese Metcalf last week!
I started seeing the seemingly ubiquitous Sharlese at shows and festivals about 5 years ago ("I love all music festivals! What the Heck Fest, MusicFestNW, and CMJ are my favorites.") so I was stoked. Talk about a lady on the go! We had some difficulty coordinating our schedules but it was definitely worth it.
As a renaissance woman of KEXP, Sharlese works as a radioDJ, local show Audioasis producer, events assistant, and production assistant. You can also find her at the Wildrose every second Saturday night... she and co-DJ Timmy Taco host the bar's ultimate dance night, called Brush Off .
Once together, Sharlese and I discussed the performance oddity John Maus and the rest of the "Ariel Pink's children" music scene in Los Angeles, and our love of list writing ("KEXP asks us to keep Top 10's of the year... It's so hard to keep track!").

Check out Sharlese's 3 flashy looks and her fab interview below!

_DSC8957
(Original Cairo silkscreened leggings)

_DSC8968

_DSC8907

_DSC8872
need MORE?!?



What has been the greatest opportunity presented to you from KEXP?
Getting my radioshow. That's the best thing ever. That's what I went to school for.

You have met a lot of bands in the past. Which bands stood out the most/why?
I tried to meet Hunx and His Punx today… he did not want to talk to me at all. But to answer your question... all of them! Each is a different experience. I can say that I look forward to them all... I can't name just one.

You met Carson Daly! What is he like?
Haha. I still have no idea.

Any funny stories from KEXP?
I told my boss that I have a conflict every morning between listening to him or KUBE. That was pretty dumb.

Which local band do you think is gonna make it?
Oh my god. I refuse to answer that question.

What do you think is the most original characteristic of the Seattle music scene?
The variety of music. And the sense of community that we all have. We all support each other, which is really rare.

If you could go back to any time period of American music, what would it be?
I would go back to the 80's unfortunately. Probably when Joy Division was hanging out.

What do you do when you're bored in the studio?
Eat snacks, talk to my friends Janis and Cheryl, and surf for new music. New music is a huge distraction.

What are 5 things one should always carry with them?
A mirror, some sort of lip something, some form of ID, candy, and a CD you can pop on anywhere… because sometime's thats called for. I can honestly say I have all that in my bag right now.
What CD do you have?
Shabazz Palaces!

What is one song that you have heard enough of?
Wacka Flock Flame's No Hands. He is my favorite, I love him. But I'm sick of that song.

Which festival do you most look forward to?
I like CMJ because I look forward to going to New York.

What was your first record?
Ha, "Hangin' Tough" from New Kids on the Block.

Do you have a nickname?
Yeah! SeeSee. But some people call me S. I like that one best. It reminds me of Gossip Girl.

Do you have a favorite musician that you picked up from your parents?
Probably Aretha Franklin.

5 bands you recommend listening to?
Oh no! I want to say every band. Unknown Mortal Orchestra, most definitely. Witch Gardens, Karl Blau because he's the best. I need some hip hop, so Don't Talk to the Cops, and Wacka Flocka Flame.

Are you a coffee elitist?
Well, I definitely have coffee ranked in Seattle. First is Vivace. That's the best. Second is Stumptown. I had a good experience at Uptown. They have short, iced espressos, which I think is important.

Do you have a cat?
I do! His name is Gunner Juliard Metcalf. He's really cute and lovable.

What was the most valuable thing you learned at the Green River Community College radio program?
Being yourself.


Dovidjenja Seattle! See you in a few weeks!
Liv

No comments: