Thursday, May 26, 2011

Go Suck a Tooth: The DJM Story.

Daniel Joseph Mitchell, former poet, current painter, podcaster, and mixtape guru, is my subject du jour. An artist of many mediums, Daniel had an extensive list of sites where his work could be found… "I’m well represented this year.”
Daniel hosts a podcast with friend Paul Waude called "I Can’t Believe I’m a Loser", where they stop getting real, and start feeling real. He is also a member of the White Fence Art Collective with Cassie Ramone (Vivian Girls), Ryan Sambol (The Strange Boys), and Tim Presley (Darker My Love).

Bespeckled and nervous, Daniel spent most of his interview speaking to me about our mutual love of talk radio and the terror of living in Texas as a youth. During his photoshoot, I received a Ginsberg-esque reading from an informative picture book on Native American culture—very entertaining.

Everything Daniel wears from the waist-UP can be purchased at Cairo, including that super-cool yellow T, which features Mitchell’s own designs. Pick one up Friday, DUH. Wait, what is happening this Friday? Along with "loose" art collective called TEETH with Darin Shuler and Brian Standeford ("We figured we could get a show easier if there were more of us...") Daniel will be exhibiting his work at CAIRO!

So be there. But be here now to look at his awesome photos/interview.

See you then, friends.

_DSC2098

_DSC2135

_DSC2117

Wanna see the rest?!?!?!?



What is your sign?
I’m a Pisces…Jewish.

What is your power animal?
My friends.

Where were you born?
I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. In a suburb called Richardson.

What do you look forward to most when you go back home?
I don't really. I look forward to petting my parents’ animals.

You have a show coming up here pretty soon. What will you have on display?
I do. I’ll have shirts, large watercolor paintings, mix tapes that I have drawn on the
cover, poster-sized prints, and lots of tiny little pieces of paper.

What is your favorite medium to work with?
Right now? The human voice and sumi ink and paper. And mix tapes.

What was the first tape you ever purchased?
I remember the day I bought They Might Be Giants’ Flood, and maybe Def
Leppard’s Hysteria.

What was your most ambitious facial hair-style?
Oh, ha. A handlebar mustache. For a week. With my friend Joshua Fingert.

Favorite book of all time?
Probably The Museum of Love by Steve Weiner.

Okay, why would you recommend that book to me?
Because it has short, disturbing sentences.

What are you listening to right now?
White Fence’s Is Growing Faith. Gun Outfit. Dim Light. Simon and Garfunkel’s Bridge Over
Troubled Water…the whole album.

What are some of your more notable past projects?
Well, I made a 45-minute dream tape of 3 months’ worth of my dreams when I lived in
Portland. Also, I made book of 500 haiku in 9 days.


Until Next Time...

-Liv

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Daniel -- bespectacled, maybe, but nervous? Never. He makes me nervous, in a good way though.